"O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him]." (Noble Quran 3:102)
Sunday, February 8, 2015
Was Islam or Christianity Spread By The Sword?
Thomas Carlyle said in his book: On Heroes and Hero-Worship:
Accusing him – i.e., Muhammad (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) – of relying on the sword in order to force people to respond to his call is nonsense beyond comprehension, because it is inconceivable that a man would wield his sword to kill people unless they responded to his call. If people who were able to fight their opponents believed in him, then they must have believed willingly and sincerely.
1. King Olaf slaughtered everyone who refused to embrace Christianity in Norway; he cut off their hands and feet, and banished and expelled them, until there was no other religion in the land except Christianity.
2. In Montenegro in the Balkans, the Prince-Bishop Danilo Petrovic led a campaign of slaughter against non-Christians on Christmas Eve.
3. In Ethiopia, the king Sayf Ar‘ad (1342-1370 CE) executed everyone who refused to become Christian, or he banished them from the land.
4. Moreover we find that it was Christianity – and not Islam – that eradicated the Native people in America.
5. We also find that it is Christianity that uprooted the Palestinian people from their land in order to hand it over to the enemies of both Christ and Muhammad (peace be upon them).
6. Who is it that started the world wars? In the First World War, ten million people were killed, and in the Second World War, the death toll was seventy million!
7. How many humans were killed by the atomic bombs that were dropped on the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima in Japan?
8. During the Crusades, when the Christians besieged Jerusalem and the siege intensified, and its inhabitants realised that they were defeated, they asked the crusader leader Tancred for safe passage for themselves and their wealth, and he granted that to them on condition that they all seek refuge in al-Masjid al-Aqsa (the mosque), carrying safety banners. Al-Masjid al-Aqsa was filled with old men, children and women, and they were slaughtered like sheep; their blood flowed in the holy place until it came up to the knees of the horses, and the streets were filled with crushed skulls, severed arms and legs and mutilated bodies. The historians state that the number of those killed inside al-Masjid al-Aqsa alone was seventy thousand, and no European historians deny these atrocities.
9. Our own times give the best testimony to that, for they bombarded Afghanistan, then they moved to Iraq and destroyed it, bombarding, killing and spreading mischief throughout the land. Their leader even said that God had commanded him to enter Iraq! Where are the teachings of Christ that they claim to follow and speak so much about?
10. When Lord Allenby, the representative of the Allies – England, France, Italy, Romania and America – captured Jerusalem in 1918 at the end of the First World War, did he not say: “Today the Crusades have ended”?
11. Did not the Frenchman Gouraud – who was also a representative of the Allies – stand in front of the tomb of the Muslim hero Salaah ad-Deen al-Ayyoobi (Saladin), when he entered Damascus, and say: “We have returned, O Saladin”?
12. Is it not so that the country was destroyed, blood was shed and women were raped in Bosnia and Herzegovina only in the name of the cross?
13. What do they have to say about what happened – and is still happening – in Chechnya? In Africa? Indonesia and elsewhere? Can they deny that what happened in Kosovo was a Crusade? Didn’t Bush say in his last war: “It will be a crusade”?
Such atrocities did not occur when the Muslims fought in jihad against their enemies. They did not kill women or children or ordinary people. It is worth noting the instructions that Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq gave to Usaamah ibn Zayd and his troops:
“Do not commit any act of treachery or betrayal. Do not steal from the war booty. Do not mutilate any dead body. Do not kill any child, old man or woman. Do not cut down any palm trees or burn them. Do not cut down any fruit-bearing tree. Do not slaughter any sheep, cow or camel, except for food. If you pass by people who have devoted themselves to worship in hermitages, then leave them to that to which they have devoted themselves.”